Newspaper Archive of
The Florala News
Florala , Alabama
Lyft
June 19, 1975     The Florala News
PAGE 17     (17 of 22 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 17     (17 of 22 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
June 19, 1975
 

Newspaper Archive of The Florala News produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




INC. ALL CONTENT COPYRIGHTED. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. JBJECT TO LICENSE AGREEMENT. REPRODUCTION, DISSEMINATION, STORAGE, DISTRIBUTION PROHIBITED. I: trees mak- ' ' naval- resin, one of the industries, when were essential The finest made by dis- ' colorless gum, long-leaf gum exudes in the bark, to October. is not cut thus the tree for lumber. a pale, straw- inflammable is also ob- the wood 5 per cent of into paints and assists the oils. It is in mak- dyes, and leather, for waxes, resins, States was 30 million and this sec- Lockhart, Pax- furnished SUPply during the aner 1900. The ~val stores crop from the south- U. S. naval were pro- long leaf pine virgin forests products from second is chiefly slash shows the were boxed to come the trees. The the fluid is from the cuts put into kegs the turpentine NO. a trade derived (gum or tree. The of naval stores produced by The trees and the oleo- exudes from the to heal the wound Cups, collected transported to historic method gum, and the trgely used, is still heat- ,re. The cola- is distilled off from the The. re- and is run of the still, eottoe batting into per- oleoresin crop to ten- and dis- equipment control today. No. 8, is Where the tur- lived during Were cutting and In front of seen two women wash. Notice With one woman Oil a "rub- taking to the as another wo- n bucket of two steaming the clothes are as was the cus- ~ys. a section t With the ax and down of the of less than 18 that first Pictures NO. Were being cut. Were then taken Picture No. IZ, to the rail- Where they were 0nov- Picture No. engine as It to the Lock- of these on leading to the mill. of the McNelII, and the who with also operated for a time. 14 and 15 are saw mills of Company in smoke tall smoke the pictures across the the buildings Saw mill has but the "mill- to be in its and is crossed those Pay was low- anct te that work was the food at "the kitchens." Scene 16 is what sant appearance. Note the some called "the camp" and while picket fence surround- that was where food was pre- ing it, the buggy with the horse pared for the crews and served, hitched to a telephone pole and Standing by the "cook-houses" in front a cart being drawn by is an engine as it pulls in a one of the prize horses owned load of logs enroute to the by W. S. Harlan. Scene No. mill in Lockhart but had ap- 21 is the Commissary and patently stopped to eat at "the street scene in later years kitchen" which was set up in after trees had grown up, the forest. One person made stumps had been removed from the comment to me recently, the grounds. The wide street, "and it was really good eat- though continued to be sand ing" at those log camp kit- and clay, was kept clean. By chens, then the Commissary building Picture No. 17 is the mac- had added an upstairs porch hine shop at Lockbart during which added to its attraction. those early days. Part of That building continues to those buildings continue to be stand there today but the used today for a machine shop porches have been removed. but the equipment repaired is It is now used as a storage quite different to that of those building since the removal of early days. The machine shop the Merit Metal Works several is now being operated by Frank years ago. Brewer, a man who is near Photo No. 22 is the section 90 years young and still very of the Commissary containing active, dry goods and shoes. The next The Commissary, picture scene (No. 23) is the hardware No. 18, as it was when first section and the next scene (24) built in 1903 and scene No. 19 is the grocery department of showing the same building along the Commissary. Of particular with other buildings anda street interest in the grocery depart- scene. In that picture with the ment was the meat market/one CommiSsary is the postofflce, of the finest and largest in the doctor's office, the white folks south. And "also of interest is hotel and several buildings. In the fact that Jim J. Johnston, the left of the picture is a part the late father of Martelle of the office building across the Johnston and Mrs. Philmore street when .it was first built. Carter, was the manager of Note the. next picture, No. 20, the meat department for a the office building in later years number of years. after the old stumps had been People who have lived here WORKMAN CHOPS DOWN PINE TREE. NOTE HOW CLOSE TO removed and young trees had a long time and those who Iiv- GROUND THE TREE IS BEING CUT BY AX WHICH WAS THE WAY grown uplargeenonghto make ed hereduringthoseearlydays, THE TREES WERE CUT IN THOSE EARLY DAYS. the place have a more plea- now living elsewhere, remem- ber the Lockhart hotels. Pic- ture No. 25 was the hotel for while folk and picture .No. 26 was the colored hotel. It was strict segregation during those days when it came to social, school and home life but the colored hotel was equally as large and well kept as the white hotel. These pictures were taken when the hotels were first built. In later years the surroundings were much im- proved with trees, shrubs, etc., and that is how I remember them. These hotels were the scene of many great social events during those days and on into the late 1920's. Picture No. 27 is a street scene of early homes for white people and was the street lead- Lug from, the office building and Commissary. The next scene, No. 28, is another street scene in the residential area for homes for white people. Pic- ture No. 29 is the area where the colored families live. Also pictured are box cars as they were left on tracks to be load- ed or unloaded of merchandise for the Commissary. One of the most beautiful LOAD OF LOGS AS THEY ARE OEiNO CARRIED TO THE LOG TWAIN BY OX CART. earlyplaceSdaysin LockhartduringthoSewas the home of the W. S. Harlan family, picture No. 30. That home continues to be occupied today in Lockhart. Mr. Harlan was manager 'of Jackson Lumber Company and ..... owned stock in the company. ..... .... He was an uncle to Miss Helen .......White who resides in Florala. Picture No. 31 is the first school house at Lockhart which was the beginning only a one- room school. Pictured are students which were taught by Miss Christian McLeod, aunt to Mrs. Alma Scott and Mrs. Ethel Powers of Florala. Later another room was added to the building and Mrs. Alma Scott was the teacher of that room. Both rooms contained several grades. In the beginning the school house was also used as a church. The next picture, No. 32, is the first school in Lockhart for the colored people. It also was used for a church for many years. Picture No. 33 is of one of the most beautiful buildings ever to be built in Lockhari. It was known as the Union Church and was used for all denominations. The building had beautiful stained glass win- LOG TRAIN AS IT PULLS INTO LOCKHART WITH LOAD OF LOGS FROM TNM PORRST. dows with a tall steeple. The church was built in 1906 and was the scene of many woncte].- ful religious events. The build- LOCKNART LUMBER COMPANY MILL IN PRODUCTION IN THE EARLY PART OF THE CENTURY. ing was burned in 1926, ap- parently a target of arson. If this building could have been spared it would now be one of the beautiful landmarks of this entire area. The Florala News, and this writer, are grateful to Miss Helen White for these pic- tures. Miss White continues to make Florala her home. Her parents, Mr. and Mrs. H. G. White, came to Lockbart in the fall of 1903 where her father was manager of the Lockhart Commissary. Miss White came in possession of the album of historical pic- tures through her uncle, Mr. W. S. Harian. Mr. Harlan d]ed in 1921 and Mrs. Harlan later ~hve the ~bum to their niece. e White family moved to Florala jn 1926 and Mr. White later became mayor of the City of Florala, replacing Roland Perry. Mr. White died in 1934 after which Wayland A. Mills. brother to Mrs. A. G. wit- tiaras became Florala's young- est mayor. Mills now lives in Brewton. There are so many things JACKSON LUMBER COMPANY MILL FROM ACROSS THE POND. THE POND CONTINUES TO BE LOCATED WHERE IT WWS IN THOSE DAYS AND.IS CROSSED WHEN GOING FROM FLORALA TO LOCKHART. THE KITCHEN SOMETIMES CALL THE LOG CAMP WHERE FOOD WAS PREPARED AND SERVED TO THE WORKMEN. MACHINE SHOP WHERE ALL EQUIPMENT WAS KEPT IN REPAIRS. PART OF THIS BUILDING CONTINUES TO BE USED TODAY AS A "MACHINE SHOP" BUT FOR QUITE DIFFERENT EQUIPMENT. "THE COMMISSARY" AS IT LOOKED IN THE BEGINNING IN 1903. THE BUILDING WAS LATER CHANGED BY THE ADDING OF AN UPSTAIRS PORCH. that could add to the interest of this area's early years if we could gather all the in- formation. Another bit of interest that concerns a _'nber of people is that the la~c ,,~:~l B. Smith, father to Wallace =. "P~'~-r" Smith of Florala, was opera,u, u, t~ Lockhart Lumber Company barn which had an extensive stock of mules, horses and oxen. His wife, Mrs. Myrtle Smith continues to live at the family home on East Fifth Avenue in Florala.